Sunday, April 19, 2015

Do you keep a dream journal?

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley Misery by Stephen King, Twilight Stephenie Meyer. What do these three great books have in common? They all are inspired by dreams.

It happens. If you are a writer, you can easily connect your dreams with your creativity.

I had a dream. A little vague. When I woke up, I was happy, thinking that it can be a nice scene for my story but, I forgot to jot it down and I forgot. Very frustrating! Just like some writing ideas, memories of dreams are ephemeral. That’s why you need to keep a dream journal.


A man and a woman are standing in a jungle, and a body is lying nearby.

I had this dream a few months back. I was excited when I realised that I could craft a story inspired by this dream. I let my always occupied mind churn for few days, and eureka! I crafted a 2500-word story!

Dreams! I have a strange connection with my dreams. Sometimes, dreams are amazingly clear that it seems weird. Some faces that you don't recognize but they are so clear that you could remember it for long. Beautiful surroundings that you don't want to return. Some exciting dreams leave you annoyed when interrupted in-between.

Dreams can give you interesting ideas for your writing. They may turn into a nice setting or maybe some striking situation for your new story. Or you may get introduced to an interesting character in a dream. Or maybe you can get a whole story idea! You never know.

If you are a writer, you should keep a dream journal. You can create a separate space for dreams in your regular writing journal.

According to estimates by dream researcher J. Allan Hobson, as much as 95 percent of all dreams are quickly forgotten shortly after waking. So, jot down if you have seen something interesting in your dreams. Write them immediately when you wake up. They are not going to last for long. Sometimes, you may forget them the moment you get up. But sometimes, you may remember them for long. I still remember some of my dreams that I had seen many years back.

Write in bits. You can organise later.

You are not going to dream the whole story. You may get some flashes, and then you need to connect the dots. That is where your creativity and imagination are tested.

You are not going to dream worth writing everyday. You must learn to interpret your dreams. Think about it. But don't bother. Don't strain. Just have fun!

Think differently. It would be exciting to try different genre.

Have you ever written anything inspired by your dreams?  Do share!

Keep dreaming and keep writing!


3 comments:

  1. Yes, dream or reality, a hint is enough for our minds to wander after it. Nice write-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. I should take a cue and start maintaining a dream journal. Sounds like a fascinating idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Rudraprayaga: You're right! Thanks :)

    @ Saru: Yes, it's fascinating! :)

    ReplyDelete